"...Connection is the energy that exists between two people when they feel seen, heard, and valued; when they can give and receive without judgment; and when they derive sustenance and strength from the relationship." Brene Brown
The basic premise from which I work as a parent coach and educator is that we, as humans are driven by a need for belonging and significance. In other words to be seen and accepted for who we are and what we offer. The underlying motivation of much of children's behavior, challenging and otherwise, is this seeking for a sense of significance and belonging.
Some Beliefs that influence my work:
- Constancy, the daily "showing up" for your child/children, plays a big part in building a sense of security and trust.
- The attachment experience of parents impacts their parenting
- Children develop a strong sense of self in an atmosphere of mutual respect and trust
- Self motivation and self regulation are best developed through clear, direct communication, opportunities for decision-making and recognition of mistakes as learning opportunities. Self motivation and regulation are not achieved through rewards and punishment (which at best accomplish short-term behavior change)
- Children thrive on kind and firm limits, which acknowledge needs and feelings of everyone involved.
- Understanding the motivation underlying behavior moves us closer to mutually beneficial solutions
- Self-care is critical for parents to find the JOY in parenting!
Contact me: Lyn Dillman, M.A.
PCI® Certified Parent Coach &
Certified Positive Discipline Parenting Educator
Seattle and Olympia, WA
*Parent coaching is conducted over the phone; it is not necessary that you be located in the same city